Friday, March 16, 2012

My Orion


Friday, March 16th, 2012



         Last night I decided it was time to visit my quiet place on the beach again.  It had been too long since my last vigil there.  I stood for a while, letting the salty breeze soothe my spirits, and the sound of rolling waves calm my heart.  God always speaks to me most clearly during these times.  Soon my thoughts were playing the events of the past week like a feature film in my head and I realized this was the first conversation I’d had with God in…well, far too long.  I sighed, once again ashamed at my human frailty.  I sat on the rocky sand, curling my knees up to my chest, and lifted my eyes to the night sky.  Instantly my eyes caught the familiar sight of Orion the hunter.  Since coming to Haiti I have seen more constellations than I ever knew to exist; each remains for a season, and then the stars shift to make way for new ones, but Orion…Orion is my ever-constant companion.  He may change positions from time to time, but he is always there, gracing the southern sky with his bold stance, arrow fit ready to the bow, pointing at some invisible prey.

          Suddenly it hit me.  God was my Orion.  No matter how much I may resist Him or unintentionally bring Him sorrow He is always pursuing me.  He will never give up on me, forget me, or grow weary of the chase.  My Hunter is constant, faithful, and true, even when I am not.  A chill ran up my spine though the gentle wind was warm.  Once again God had given me a glimpse of His character through one of the marvels in His creation.  And once again I was floored.  For the hundredth time I breathed the words of my favorite hymn, believing them with all my heart:



Could we with ink the ocean fill,

And were the skies of parchment made;

Were every stalk on earth a quill,

And every man a scribe by trade.

To write the love of God above

Would drain the ocean dry,

Nor could the scroll contain the whole,

Though stretched from sky to sky.



Oh love of God!  How rich and pure!

How measureless and strong!

It shall forever more endure

The saints and angels song.

No comments:

Post a Comment