Sunday, November 23, 2014

Redeemed


Sunday, November 23rd, 2014

       Lash! Lash! Lash!  Torn skin.  Throbbing back.  Cruel voices screaming.  “You’re worthless!  Worthless!  Nothing!  Worthless, I say!”  Lash, after terrible lash of the whip.  Pain. So much pain even the tears cannot come.  But worse than the pain is the shame.  Over and over the words come:  Worthless.  Worthless.  Worthless.... 

        Forcing her mind to work and her eyes open, the young slave girl woke herself out of her vivid nightmare.  It was enough that she had to endure such abuse during her waking hours; must she live through it again each night?  She lay quietly on the straw-covered floor serving as a bed, staring into the nothingness, willing her eyes to stay open.  Better a sleepless night than another foul dream, reminding her of her worthlessness. 

         “Where is she?”  

         The words spoken so softly caught the girl’s attention faster than the usual harsh tones ever had.  It came from outside her cabin.  She wondered if perhaps she had fallen asleep and was dreaming again.  Never had she heard such a gentle voice.  Suddenly she heard footsteps just outside.  She quickly stood to her feet and brushed away pieces of straw that insisted on clinging to her woolen skirt. 

          The door opened and light streamed in.  The girl bit her lip.  Surely she had slept far too late and was about to be punished.  Two men entered.  She shivered when she saw the outline of the first man against the doorway…a figure she knew all too well.  Her master.  Without even bothering to glance at the second figure she dropped to her knees and bent her chin to the ground. 

           “Do as you will,” she said through gritted teeth, “I have no excuse for my slothfulness.” 

           A mocking laugh followed her comment, and then with a sneer, “See what you are getting?  A worthless nothing…can’t even make herself get out of bed in the morning.”  

            It was her master who spoke.  But what could he mean? 

            She lowered her head, expecting a blow, but instead she felt someone kneel in the hay before her and take her hand.  The figure stood and pulled her to her feet, refusing to let go his firm but gentle grip on her hand.  When, in confusion, her eyes remained fixed to the floor, she felt his other hand lightly touch her chin and raise her head.  Her frightened eyes met eyes so filled with love and kindness they brought tears to her own. 

              Paying no attention to her leering master this man spoke directly to her.  “I have paid the required price, my child.  You are Mine once again.” 

              “Again, sir?  I have been a worthless slave here all my life…,” the girl replied.

                “Again, my worthy child.  You were mine from the beginning.  This man has no claim on you.  Come.  Come with me.  With me you will find rest.  My yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 

                 Every second she was under this man’s gaze the girl felt more and more wonderful.  She felt special.  She felt loved.  But as soon as these feelings began to surface, doubts arose.  She was not special.  She was not loved.  She was worthless.  Nothing.  This man was confused.  He must mean someone else.  The feelings of shame and insignificance returned in a flood.  The girl could not turn her head or pull her hand away, so she lowered her eyes.  She could no longer endure such a tender gaze. 

                   “My child – do you not see?  I have paid the required price.  You are worthy, to me.  That is all that matters.  You are what matters.  Come unlearn the lies with which this false master has filled your heart.  Come hear the truth.  Know that you are loved.  You have been redeemed.” 

                    Suddenly she understood.  Her eyes met His again, this time with confidence.  She was His.  She was loved.  She was redeemed.
 
_________________________________________________

 

In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed.

In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.

 

                     Though not an exact metaphor, the above story is what came to me as I meditated on the truth that Jesus has redeemed us.  Jesus has redeemed me.  Lost, worthless, undeserving, He chose to come to this imperfect world and give His very own life for me.  He accepts me as I am, yes, but He doesn’t just accept me.  He bought me with His own blood.  He loves me too much to leave me the way He found me.  He picked me up out of the mud, cleansed me, and gave me a reason to hope.  Each new day He gives me a reason not to return to the mud.  If that is not enough motivation to praise Him, what is?
 

 Every day I wrestle with the voices
That keep telling me I’m not right
But that’s alright…

‘Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed
When others say I’ll never be enough…

Bring your doubts
Bring your fears
Bring your hurt
Bring your tears

There’ll be no condemnation here
You are holy, righteous and redeemed
.

 “Greater” – Mercy Me

1 comment:

  1. I love the story and I've loved that song since I first heard it!

    ReplyDelete